I am not going to lie to you- we are really spoiled. It is beautiful here in Mendoza, summer weather, late night cafe society and of course the wines! O.Fournier is one of the most cutting edge wineries here in Mendoza and is located in La Consulta, close to The Vines Private Vineyard Estate project in the Uco Valley.
From the minute that you walk into the winery, you are transported to a star wars-esque reality. The bay doors open onto the cellar room and it instantly makes you think you are entering the new set for James Bond. Not only do they have cutting edge architecture, but also winemaking with conical tanks, experimental small tanks and utilize both old and new vines with an emphasis on Tempranillo. The enologist from O.Fournier visited The Vines last week for our winemaker night and I am a bit gleeful to share all of these wines with you.
- First up was the B Crux Sauvignon Blanc- I had never tasted this wine previously, and am typically not a huge fan of SB, so I was super surprised by the zesty citric perfume and silky fruit core! Wow, go buy this wine, now!
- Urban Uco Torrontes- this is their least expensive line of wines and a perfect introduction into the varietals of Argentina. With the fragrant perfume indicitive of this varital it is backed up with lively acid and tropical fruit.
- Urban Uco Blend- Tempranillo/Malbec. This wine has smoky, tobacco essences with a mixture of red and black licorice, leather, a bit of tar thrown in to round out the dusty tannins and adequate acidity. A perfect wine to take to a family BBQ.
- B Crux Malbec- Tempranillo, Malbec, Syrah. This wine is a berry chocolate explosion! Rich from the nose to the velvety texture. Round and frisky, this is a wine ready with dancing shoes, a bit girlie but ready to be the belle of the ball.
- A Crux Blend 2004- From 50-60 year old vines this wine is inky, intriguing and a more wise mature version of the B Curx. Cinnamon and spice, with a lively with it is powerful in its repertoire, elegants but profound.
- A Crux Malbec 2006- Lithe and elegant with black cherries, blackberries. Notions of romantic whimsy with a chocolate bonbon, with hints of violets. Quite lovely
For more information about O.Fournier, visit their website: www.ofournier.com