- Argentina comes from the Latin term “argentum”, meaning "land of silver".
- The official language is Spanish.
- Roman Catholicism is the country´s formal religion. In fact, until 1994, the elected President of Argentina had to be Roman Catholic per law.
- The popular dance form ‘Tango’ belongs to Argentina. The Tango, born in the immigrant populated outskirts of Buenos Aires in the late 19th century. It is now worldwide known for its music and glamorous dance.
- The other important musical branch is the folklore in different regional styles, like the zamba from Salta or the chacarera from Santiago del Estero, among others.
- The Teatro Colón, situated in Buenos Aires is one of the prime opera houses in the world.
- Argentina is well known for the high level of education of its people. Several Nobel prizes are testimony of that.
- The Argentinean medical doctor, Ernesto Guevara, who was also a poet, philosophical writer, and the champion of the revolution in Cuba, became an icon of international fame during 1960s.
- Dr. René Gerónimo Favaloro (July 12, 1923 – July 29, 2000) was an Argentine cardiac surgeon who created the technique for coronary bypass surgery.
- The cuisine of Argentina is largely influenced by mainly that of Spain and Italy.
- Argentina is renowned for its beef. A favorite cut is the "bife de chorizo", served tender and juicy, but all cuts are of very high quality. Roasted over charcoal or wood, we also find "chorizo" (pork sausage), "molleja" (gizzard), "chinchulines" (tripe), riñones (kidneys) and "tripa gorda" (large intestine).
- Among regional foods are "empanadas" and "locro criollo". "Empanadas" are pastries filled with minced meat, chicken, corn, or vegetables; different Argentine provinces have their own special recipes for "empanadas". The "locro criollo" is a stew made with cow meat, potatoes and corn.
- Mate is the traditional tea and drink of Argentina and a huge part of our culture. Regardless of what part of the country you are visiting, or what time of year you are here, you will inevitably see mate drinkers scattered along the way.
- The most widespread and a great passion of many Argentines is soccer. Winner of two world cups and breeder of world stars. The best known clubs are River Plate, Boca Juniors, Independiente, Racing Club and San Lorenzo. If you are in Argentina you can not miss attending to a soccer match!
Source: www.pioneros.com.ar / www.wanttoknowit.com / www.wikipedia.com